- This event has passed.
March 21 @ 11:30 am - 8:00 pmFree
2020 TCCC Playdown
– – – – –
The Clubspiel and Playdown are cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic
– – – – –
The Playdown is a free, members-only tournament where teams compete for the right to represent the TC Curling Club in the 2020 Cherry Bombspiel.
- The Playdown takes place during the Annual Clubspiel on Saturday, March 21. When not curling, Playdown participants will have plenty of time to enjoy everything the Clubspiel has to offer (mingling, food, Stormcloud beverages, BYOB,…)
- While the Playdown is free, if your team qualifies, you are expected to pay for and participate in the Cherry Bombspiel, April 17-19, 4-game minimum, $440 per team.
- Register for the Playdown as a team (one registration per team). All team members must be club members.
- First draw is at 11:30am. Scroll down for full Playdown format details below or to SIGN UP (get your ticket) at the bottom.
Registered Teams (in order received):
1. Stone Mongers
2. Rockin the House
3. Silver Spruce
4. SoFo MoFos
6. New Kids On The Rock
7. Worry Free International
8. Sheet Happens
9. Housing Crisis
10. Whiskey Rocks
11. 3 Curls and the Hammer
12. Burnin’ Down the House
Playdown Format Details:
- First draw is at 11:30AM.
- 4 teams will qualify for the Cherry Bombspiel.
- We have space for up to 16 teams to participate in the playdown, and format options that work with 6 to 16 teams.
- You will play 1, 2, or 3 games (most likely 2). No matter what the format is, if you win 2 games you will qualify for the Bombspiel!
- 6-end games. Ties are decided by skip stones (i.e. draw to the button).
More than you want to know…
- The playdown will be some combination of the following formats:
- [A] 3-team round robin (2 games each, see scoring below(*), winner qualifies);
- [B] 4-team single elimination (1 or 2 games each, winner qualifies);
- [C] 4-team double elimination (2 or 3 games each, 2 teams qualify); and
- [D] (less likely) 3-team round robin, top 2 teams qualify (2 games each, see scoring below(*)).
- If 16 teams sign up, the format will be BBBB (i.e., Four 4-team single elimination groups). Here are the possible formats: 6 teams – DD, 7-CD, 8-CC, 9-AAD, 10-AAC, 11-ABC, 12-AAAA, 13-AAAB, 14-AABB, 15-ABBB, 16-BBBB
- Teams will be seeded and grouped by the Draw Master based on league standings and past results. Teams formed just for the playdown will be seeded as fairly as possible. All efforts will be made to group teams from different league nights so everyone gets to play at least one or two teams they aren’t used to seeing. In the event of mixed group types, the highest seeds will get a choice of the group type they want to play in.
- (*) [A] and [D] 3-team round robin scoring details:
- Note if you forfeit one game, you forfeit both your games (even if you played them already)
- Note we are also tracking ends won for tie-breakers (5-ends minimum required per game)
- 3 pts for a ‘regulation’ win or win-by-forfeit; 2 pts for a skip-stones win; 1 pt for a skip-stones loss
- Tie-Breaker 1 – If only 2 teams are tied, head-to-head results determine the ranking.
- Tie-Breaker 2 – If all 3 teams finish with 3 pts, the team with the most ends won is the winner.
- Tie-Breaker 3 – if all 3 teams are still tied with 3 pts and equal ends won, final results are determined by the initial team seeding.
Broomstacking throughout Draws and until 9 PM. Please drink responsibly.